One of the most complicated realities in divorces with minor children is the considerations associated with one parent moving away. Geographical restrictions associated with where minor children should live and whether it should be a factor in custody issues are important elements in Texas family law. An obvious solution is rare; it requires soul searching on the part of parents and an attorney and Court who understands those legal intricacies. After all, the goal is for the child to have a meaningful relationship with both parents. The question is, should one parent, especially the custodial parent, be allowed to move a significant distance that it jeopardizes the relationship with the other parent? To say that residence restrictions are challenging is an understatement.

It’s only been in recent years that the custodial parent has been made accountable to the other parent and the courts on decisions to move out of the area or state. Laws have been passed that now provide protections for the parent who is to be left behind. Now, the judge, or even a jury, can impose restrictions on where minor children may live – or more specifically, how far away they may live. Ask any parent who fears missing out on weekly visits or impromptu dinner plans with their children and they’ll tell you it’s not about the former spouse moving away, but they’re concerned about their children moving away. Residence restrictions most certainly serve a purpose.

Texas family law attorney Jon Boyd has represented clients who find themselves losing sleep after learning their children may be relocated. Because of these newer laws, these parents now have a voice – and the benefits of those laws – to help protect them and their children. Geographical restrictions are absolutely an integral and necessary issue in any divorce with children or other custody cases. He understands that the priority is always the well-being of the little ones and his track record tells the tale of his commitment and passion for doing the right thing. Jon Boyd is an adamant believer in imposing and enforcing a geographical restriction on the children’s residence so that the non-custodial parent can have a meaningful relationship with his or her children, although there are occasionally circumstances where no restriction is necessary or appropriate.

No parent should lose access to their child, especially because of a former spouse’s plans. If you need assistance, we invite you to contact the Law Office of Jon R. Boyd. for a complimentary consultation. Understanding your rights is your first step of protecting your relationship with your children.